Job Description for Academic Leader
OISE's academic mission is to be the world’s leading organisation for intensive language teaching which is both demanding of the participants and fulfilling in its results.
Main purpose of the Job Reporting to: Course Leader
To take responsibility for assisting the Course Leader in all aspects of the course to ensure the smooth running of the academic and leisure programme and at all times throughout the course to the maximum benefit of students.
- Assists in the setting up of the school and assigning duties to staff as required.
- Welcomes visitors to the programme as required (e.g third party agents, colleagues from OISE, language agencies, inspectors from British Council etc)
- Forms a close working relationship with the Course Leader and the Leisure & Welfare Leader.
- Provides appropriate feedback on all responsibilities to the YLS Management team.
- Takes overall responsibility when the Course Leader and Leisure & Welfare Leader are off site.
- Ensures the academic programme is delivered to the highest standard in line with OISE's academic structure and the course description in publicity material.
- Leads academic meetings at the local pre-course training, and each morning during the course.
- Advises and supports teachers in the delivery of lessons, and conducts a weekly in-house training session contributing to the professional development of academic staff.
- Observes teachers and provides feedback on performance in line with OISE observation guidance.
- Unpacks and packs academic resources at the beginning and end of the course and monitors usage, reporting any missing or damaged materials to the Course Leader.
- Teaches as required on all courses as emergency cover and where numbers are low.
- Takes responsibility for organising homework sessions.
- Writes lessons for cultural trips in order to combine leisure and academic studies.
- Ensures the prompt completion of all academic documentation including that on the google drive.
- Oversees the running of the Cambridge Exam courses where applicable.
- Welcomes students on the first day, explaining the academic programme and expectations, co-ordinating the placement testing and allocating students and teachers to groups.
- Monitors student performance and satisfaction through student reports, classroom records, weekly progress checks, end of course questionnaires etc, liaising with YLS Management where applicable.
- Supervises and disciplines students as appropriate, dealing with issues as and when they arise.
- Is responsible for the welfare and safeguarding of OISE students and is aware of and adheres to all OISE policies and procedures.
- Assists with the leisure programme as required
Qualifications and experience
- TEFLQ status preferred
- Experience of managing a team
- Experience of working with teenagers
- Familiarity with OISE materials
- DBS checked. If this has not yet been obtained, OISE will assist with and pay for an application on acceptance of a job offer.
- Level One Safeguarding - including Prevent Duty
Requirements of the Job
- Attendance at pre-season training in Oxford
- Arrival at centre one day before course start date
- Attendance during the course on a rota basis for six days per week
- Approximately 48 hours per week
- One full day off per week
£425 per week plus full board plus supplement:
£25 per week for returning staff who have worked for at least one season with OISE Young Learners’ Schools