Job Description for Residential Course Leader
OISE's academic mission is to be the world’s leading organisation for intensive language teaching which is both demanding of the participants and fulfilling in its results.
Main purpose of the Job Reporting to: YLS Manager
To take responsibility for the overall success of the course, providing leadership and direction and ensuring that lessons and the leisure programme are delivered to the highest standard in accordance with OISE criteria to the maximum benefit of students.
Has an overriding responsibility for the students' welfare and safety at all times.
- Manages the course daily, supervising the staff rota, monitoring the performance of the Leisure & Welfare Leader, Academic Leader and their teams as well as the satisfaction levels of the students (through First Impressions Reports, End-of-Course Questionnaires, and first hand evaluation) reacting as appropriate to make improvements to the students' experience.
- Manages the financial success of the school, controlling expenditure to within agreed budgets, managing petty cash and reconciling expenditure at the end of the course.
- Represents OISE locally, ensuring that branding is displayed correctly and OISE specifications are respected in areas such as staff student ratios, lesson times, publicity materials, time off for staff, documentation etc.
- Liaises with the host-school representative to ensure a smooth relationship and maintain standards particularly in areas such as food quality and cleaning.
- Is responsible for the setting up and closing of the school as well as reporting regularly to YLS Manager on day-to-day events during the course.
- Welcomes visitors to the programme as required (e.g third party agents, colleagues from OISE, language agencies, inspectors from British Council etc.)
- Takes on Academic/Leisure and Welfare Leader responsibilities when student numbers low.
- Co-ordinates and chairs the pre-course meeting with the support of the YLS Manager, Leisure & Welfare Leader and Academic Leader ensuring that all team members are adequately inducted and duty rotas allocated.
- Monitors staff performance, and completes weekly hours return, reporting any related issues to YLS Manager.
- Holds an assembly each morning in consultation with the Academic Leader and Leisure & Welfare Leader.
- Welcomes the students on the first day, introducing the team and explaining the academic, leisure and welfare responsibilities of the members of the team.
- Co-ordinates student banking and is responsible for the safe keeping of the students' documents and money during the course.
- Ensures the safety and welfare of the students at all times, liaising with Customer Care and YLS Manager as appropriate. Responds to requests for information from Booking Offices and Parents ensuring effective communication and customer satisfaction are achieved.
- Conducts a fire-drill at least once for each intake of students
- Reports regularly to YLS Manager on day-to-day events during the course.
- Takes overall responsibility for disciplinary matters in consultation with the Leisure & Welfare Leader, Academic Leader and the YLS Manager, responding to issues and emergencies as and when they arise.
- Is responsible for the safety, welfare and safeguarding of OISE students and is aware of and adheres to all OISE policies and procedures.
Qualifications and experience
- TEFLQ or TEFLI
- Experience of managing a team
- Experience of working with young learners
- Familiarity with OISE Materials.
- DBS checked. (If this has not yet been obtained, OISE will assist with and pay for an application on acceptance of a job offer.)
- Level One Safeguarding including Prevent Duty.
Requirements of the Job
- Attendance at OISE training event.
- Arrival at centre one day before course start date.
- Attendance during the course on six days per week
- Approximately 48 hours per week. One full day off per week.
£550 per week plus full-board.
-£10 per week for returning Course Leaders